The New Mexico Association of Museums promotes cooperation and communication among all museums, museum workers, and related organization. The association strives to improve professional standards within the museum field through activities, events, educational programs and fellowship, and acts as an advocate for New Mexico museums at the local, state, national, and international levels.
NMAM is a volunteer-run professional interest group for those working in museums and museum-related fields.
In recent years, NMAM has:
- Informed New Mexico legislators about concerns, programs, and other endeavors of museums within the state;
- Held informative and entertaining annual meetings in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Roswell, Farmington, Taos and Las Cruces;
- Provided scholarships to attend the Annual Meeting to emerging museum professionals and students;
- Presented the Edgar L. Hewett Award for Excellence to individuals and institutions who have demonstrated significant contributions to museums in New Mexico;
- Held regional workshops on conservation and evaluation techniques;
- Published Links, the quarterly NMAM newsletter;
- Maintained an electronic listserv;
- Engaged in long-range planning to ensure that NMAM provides the best possible services for its members.